[PLUG] LAMP Platform Updating Problems

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed May 30 21:29:58 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 11:27:32AM -0700, Kenneth B. Hill wrote:
> We seem to have problems with updates to the individual LAMP tools
> not working with the other LAMP tools. For example, if we update
> Apache with a security update, then we experience with features in
> the app not working in a perl mod or PHP etc.

As a sysadmin with a decent amount of LAMP and dependency-hell behind
me, I can only say that Jennifer's already covered what I would say,
and in much nicer words to boot.

But to reiterate:
1. Be careful and consistent where you get stuff; mixing CPAN downloads
with distribution-packaged Perl modules is asking for trouble.
2. Be careful what and when you upgrade, and plan for breakage.
3. Use a separate test server.

If you want to go the grumpy-professional-sysadmin route:
4. Document things well enough that you can rebuild your
server/environment from an OS install CD and your PHP source.
5. Get a spare box, set aside a couple days and actually DO #4.
6. Try migrating the app to Debian or Centos.
7. Don't let devs have root access.