[PLUG] LAMP Platform Updating Problems

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu May 31 00:32:55 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 03:24:26PM -0700, Kenneth B. Hill wrote:
> Why do you recommend Debian or CentOS over Gentoo? What are your
> thoughts about Ubuntu?

My apologies for not speaking clearly.  I meant to say, try migrating
your current setup to some other distro as a practice drill.

I'll admit that I strongly prefer Debian or Ubuntu for my own setups,
because of the stability, long-term support and incredible selection of
packages.  CentOS is nice to use when I think the client might decide to
migrate to Redhat because of vendor-support issues.

With either one, I can usually install a distribution package for any
Perl, PHP or Python module I need, and it'll usually update smoothly and
autmatically.  When I can't, I can generate an RPM or DEB package
directly from CPAN or whatever, which gives me some of the advantages of
a packaged module.

Of course, I am biased by my inexperience; I haven't used Slackware,
Gentoo or any of the BSDs.