[PLUG] LAMP Platform Updating Problems

Kenneth B. Hill ken at scottshill.com
Thu May 31 04:48:16 UTC 2007

I want to thank all of you that have provided me answers to my
question (e.g., about my challenges with applying various updates to
the individual LAMP platform tools that result in breaks/bugs in the
application that my team developed).

This is my first LAMP platform application project; I started it 4+
years ago. I also have a few other Windows platform web application
projects that I manage as well. Over the past 4+ years, I am
realizing that my operations cost of the LAMP platform application is
well exceeding my operations cost of my other Windows platform web
applications. Much of this difference seems to be attributed to labor
time on troubleshooting and debugging problems after an update was
applied to one, or more, of the various LAMP tools.

I started this LAMP application project 4+ years ago, because I
wanted to try and move my business away from the Windows platform
towards LAMP. I thought such a move would lower my costs of doing
business; however, this does not seem to be my experience. Are there
others that have this experience?

-Ken