[PLUG] Emacs Question

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Thu Nov 1 21:24:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 13:42:31 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> To: plug at pdxlinux.org
> Subject: [PLUG] Emacs Question
>
>   I cannot find the answer in my ORA book; probably because I don't know
> where to look in the index.
>
>   Now and then I untinkingly, and mistakenly, hit some key combination that
> changes the buffer status bar at the lower left corner from --:-- to -1>:--
> or -1:--. When the former appears, single and double quotes are underlined
> and characters have accents. I can change from the second to third form by
> pressing the Winduhs key with the quote key.
>
>   What do the -1 and -1> signify? What might I have done to produce them,
> and how do I change the display and behavior back to normal?
>
> Rich

>From http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Mode-Line.html#Mode-Line

-cs:ch-fr  buf      pos line   (major minor)------

cs states the coding system used for the file you are editing. A dash
indicates the default state of affairs: no code conversion, except for
end-of-line translation if the file contents call for that. `=' means
no conversion whatsoever. Nontrivial code conversions are represented
by various letters-for example, `1' refers to ISO Latin-1. See Coding
Systems, for more information.

I use german-postfix input method quite a lot, but I never paid
attention to the mode line.  But I can tell you that I must hit C-\
(toggle input method) to enter the mode.  That's awfully close to
C-ENTER or C-BACKSPACE.

Carlos Konstanski