[PLUG] USB reset on Thinkpad

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Wed Nov 7 19:39:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 11:31:11AM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I thought of that after I posted the above question. However, I
> don't know which modules they are. When I run lsmod I find the
> following modules that contain "usb":
>
> hci_usb	21020  3
> usbhid	32576  0
> usbcore	161584  6 cdc_acm,hci_usb,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
>
> I suppose the command would be rmmod <>, then modprobe <>. But which
> one?

Use "modprobe -r" to unload, and "modprobe" to load.  You'll need to
unload the modules in the reverse order that they were loaded,
otherwise you'll get dependency complaints from modprobe.

The two primary USB modules are "usbcore" and  the "Xhci_hcd" modules.
Start by unloading higher-level modules like "hci_usb" and "usbhid",
then trying the several HCD modules, and finally "usbcore". modprobe
will tell you which modules are holding things up if it can't proceed.

Bear in mind that while this might be an educational experiment, it's
probably not going to be too practical for everyday use. Also, if your
Thinkpad's internal keyboard is a USB device, you'll need to enjoy all
of this through an external (PS/2) keyboard (if the dock provides
one), or via an SSH session.

--
Paul