[PLUG] Laptop and Projector night for A.T.?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Nov 10 22:06:51 UTC 2007

I suggested a VPN setup workshop night for A.T.  Here's another
Jax-compatable workshop topic.

One of the perennial problems we face at Advanced Topics meetings is
configuring people's laptops for my 1024x768 projector.  With the
right drivers and X configuration, most laptops will drive it.  But
debugging X is a pain for me - I "just don't get it" when it comes
to all the zillions of options for the radeon driver in my T30
laptop, for example, and I don't understand SUSE and Ubuntu and ???
video setup GUIs.  There are many PLUGgers that know a lot more
about X than I do, and there are many other PLUGgers that would
like to make their laptops more projector friendly.

May I suggest a "laptop and projector" night?  Somebody can bring a
4 or 8-way KVM switch, so we can switch between a few different
laptops without constantly plugging and unplugging cables.  If we
get all the laptops properly configured in the time available, we
can use the remainder of the evening to project rude internet
videos (for scientific testing of video codecs, of course).

If other people  bring projectors and screens also, we could make
sure our machines work with more than one projector.  Robustness!

This is not an "advanced topic", and there would certainly be a lot
of stupid questions, but many of us would learn something, especially
if there are a few people around that actually understand X.  Perhaps
some X programmers (K.P.?) might be amused to see what the unwashed
masses actually attempt to do with their beautiful windowing system.

Keith