[PLUG] Upgrade Record Keeping

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Mon Nov 12 17:40:04 UTC 2007

Some weeks ago I ran an upgrade of SuSE 10.1. Several things broke, and
at least one (different) thing was fixed. Bit by bit (no pun intended),
I have worked through fixing things. I suspect that there is a "right"
way to administer my system so that when it comes time to run an upgrade
I'll know in advance what things will break and know what I'll have to
do to fix them. By that I mean things I've installed the old fashioned
way, as opposed to things installed with YaST.

Is there some reading I could do to get a better understanding of how
sys admins keep track of these sorts of things? I'd like to be more
organized about the paper log book I keep, or at least sometimes keep
(which I recognize is part of the problem).

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens