[PLUG] /dev/sda4

Bruce KIlpatrick bakilpatrick at verizon.net
Fri Nov 16 03:21:08 UTC 2007

I recall W. Morita's troubles with superblocks recently and reread part
of that thread from the archives.

My problem is with /dev/sda4 aka /home, his was with /.

The message I get when I try to boot into Ubuntu Gutsy on this laptop is:

Log of fsck -C -R -A -a

/dev/sda4: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while reading block 1232

/dev/sda4:  Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while reading journal superblock

fsck.ext3:  Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while checking ext3 journal for /dev/sda4
fsck died with exit status 8.

A quick Google search shows that any exit status other than 0 is bad,
but didn't tell me what 8 actually means.

So, without wasting too much of everyone's valuable time, this computer
is an HP and is less than 1 year old.  It is still under warranty.  Is
the hard drive dying for some reason, or, is a more likely
scenario...Windows XP Media did something to my /home partition?
If it's option # 2, can it be repaired without losing the data.  I did
learn to use rsync a while back, but my wife is moaning about a couple
of things she did in the last week or so (I remember...weekly backups!).

Thanks!

Bruce