[PLUG] webcam conferencing

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sun Nov 18 07:28:10 UTC 2007

I am aware of and have set up webcam_server 0.50 on an Internet
connected Linux box with a static ip.  What if the IP address is
dynamic or the camera needs to be behind a NAT'ed gateway?  The
package webcam_server seems to be designed to thwart attempts to
stream to a remote web site in the name of security.

I want to be able to stream video from any computer with a
temporary Internet connection to another computer with a static
Internet connection.  One would expect skype for Linux to
facilitate this, but it doesn't.  Do I need to set up a full
blown VPN to do video conferencing between any two Linux boxes
over the Net?  Can an ssh tunnel create a virtual lan
over the Net?  The remote client isn't going to get a static
ip address any time soon.  The remote client can see my camera,
but I can't see her camera.

      Michael Robinson