[PLUG] wireless question

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Nov 20 23:18:22 UTC 2007

Rogan> On Nov 20, 2007 10:15 AM, User Iam <vramnum10 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> HI
>>
>> Setting up my wireless....
>>
>> Have a couple of questions...
>>
>> What I am doing is connecting two machines via wireless...
>>
>> MY DSL comes in on my Cisco DSL box..
>>
>> I want to connect my computer in the other room to this computer...

Rogan> By computer do you mean the DSL modem, or is there another
Rogan> windows/linux/mac/bsd/etc.. machine on that end too?

>> I bought two G routers...

Rogan> You really probably only need one router, just use a wireless
Rogan> card in the remote machine(s).  As Nick mentioned, the routers
Rogan> generally aren't set up to be used to create a wireless bridge,
Rogan> and while it may be possible to make them work that way, it's
Rogan> going to take a *lot* of effort compared to the ease of using
Rogan> wireless cards with one router.

Look for the acronym WDS on the box or in the manual for the wireless
routers.  If the devices are capable of WDS, read up on how to
configure that.  Otherwise, you'll need to set up one of them in
client mode (which usually isn't possible with stock firmware, there
are exceptions).  You could check to see if your current router (or
consider buying a wireless router that) can be reflashed with OpenWrt
or equivalent, and then you have considerably more flexibility to
configuration of other modes.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net