[PLUG] best php/mysql web host?

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 17:41:32 UTC 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 12:33 PM, Carlos Konstanski
<ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Brent Rieck wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 08:36:47 -0800
> > From: Brent Rieck <bsr at spek.org>
> > To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help;  civil and on-topic"
> >     <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> > Subject: Re: [PLUG] best php/mysql web host?
> >
> > Carlos Konstanski wrote:
> >> Does anyone have any recommendations for a PHP/mysql web hosting
> >> service that uses PHP 5 and mysql 5, or a PHP/postgres web host using
> >> postgres 8.2.4?
> >
> > What do you mean by "best"?  Shared?  Dedicated/managed?  I like pair.com.
> >
> > --Brent
>
> You are right, "best" is a bit vague.  If I read your terminology
> correctly, I guess I'm looking for "shared".  I don't need a xen
> instance to myself; just somewhere to upload my PHP app and gain access
> to my database schema.  The absence of a bandwidth quota is also a must.
> Can you still get all this in the $10/month price range, or thereabouts?
> That seemed like a popular price point back in the day, when I was still
> using web hosting services.
>
> Carlos Konstanski

"Absence of a bandwidth quota" is a sign of a shoddy hosting
operation, because what they're really selling at the core is disk,
processing power, and bandwidth. No one can truly sell unlimited
bandwidth, so find a host that sells enough for your needs at a
reasonable price.

I use asmallorange.com - http://asmallorange.com/services/hosting/ -
and have had no problems. I've also heard good things about site5 -
http://www.site5.com/ - they appear to be offering 7.5TB bandwidth/mo
at $7.50.

-A