[PLUG] wireless question

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Nov 22 22:42:57 UTC 2007

>> In fact, it used to strike me as odd that an simple AP could cost
>> the same as a WiFI router -- but sometimes (e.g. Best Buy) they do.
>> I suppose the electronics are identical in each case, the AP just
>> has some features turned off.  Old hardware design tricks never die
>> ;-)

m0gely> I always get the router.  If you disable DHCP and don't use
m0gely> the WAN port, then you have an AP that can be used for
m0gely> something more complex down the road.  Some AP's however can
m0gely> be used as a wireless repeater and bridge, which many routers
m0gely> cannot.

A WAP54G reportedly draws about half the power (about 3W instead of 6
or 7W).  And the electronics are not identical, since the router
clearly has 4 LAN ports and the switch parts that go with it.

I try not to buy anything that I can't put OpenWrt on, which narrows
it down quite a bit.  A meraki mini is the cheapest (and kind of
coolest) I know of at the moment, at around $50, but if you want a
standard wifi router, the cheapest OpenWrt'able device I know of
(since Buffalo is enjoined from US sales at the moment) is the Linksys
WRT54GL at around $60+change.  I am not aware of any brick&mortar
stores in town that stock those, but they are just a couple days away
from places like newegg.

seniorr at aracnet.com