[PLUG] Launch executable, nothing happens?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Nov 25 20:42:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 08:34:56 -0700
Carlos Konstanski <ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com> dijo:

> > I always use mplayer for all realplayer content on my gentoo x86_64
> > box.  Realplayer is installed, but it is bunk.  I had to take care to
> > compile mplayer with the "rm" USE flag.  Not sure if Ubuntu's prebuilt
> > binary mplayer has realmedia support compiled into it or not.
> >
> > I often have to use the following tactic to play stuff that is
> > embedded into web pages (streaming or not).  This is because of a lack
> > of web browser plugin support:
> >
> > - right-click on the web page, then click "view source"
> > - find the URL to the actual streaming resource in the HTML
> > - in a shell, type "mplayer <URL>"
> >
> > There might be another factor: codecs.  My 64 bit gentoo box has the
> > following packages installed.  Does Ubuntu have similar packages?
> >
> > media-libs/amd64codecs
> > media-libs/win32codecs
> >
> > Carlos Konstanski
>
> I found a few more packages that look like they may help get a 64 bit
> box to play in a 32 bit world.  Two of these jump out as obvious
> players in the audio/visual arena:
>
> app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-medialibs
> app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-qtlibs
> app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-sdl
> app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-soundlibs
> app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs

Thanks for the suggestions. In the three years that I have been using
Linux I have always avoided Mplayer. The reason is that it has a
bewildering array of options and I don't understand what any of them
do. I lack the motivation to learn what they do because I have no
interest in video. Also, I could never figure out how to get the movie
window to go away when I am just playing audio. Plus, in its current
incarnation (Gutsy x86_64) it doesn't seem to be able to play anything
- there is a bug that keeps it from finding the audio system. Either
that or I am missing a component.

And regarding the above packages, those must be the files that you have
installed. I searched my entire filesystem on the filenames like
"medialibs," etc., and found none of them, nor do I have any of the
folders. I installed it from Synaptic, which is usually pretty good
above making sure all dependencies are met. Clearly, something is
missing that is keeping it from finding the audio system.

I think once I used Mplayer from the command line to convert a .wma to
something else that Audacity could play, but otherwise, Mplayer is too
much. All I want is audiophile quality music. Having said that, I'd try
Mplayer if I could get it to play both streaming radio and MP3s, but
there seems to be no way to create a playlist anyway nor, could I
figure out how to get it to play a streaming radio station, e.g.:

http://shoutcast.omroep.nl:8148/listen.pls
http://www.tvr.by/liveradio/radiocult.asx
http://www.catradio.com/CatalunyaMusica.ram
http://210.242.69.206/ramgen/broadcast/BCC/encoder/hiclasic.rm
http://www.rozhlas.cz/audio/download/cro3_lowmp3.m3u
http://129.237.213.240/ramgen/kanu/kanu.smil

I'd make the effort to fix whatever is causing it not to find the audio
system if it could do what I want. Is there a way to create a playlist
in Mplayer that contains radio station links like the above? Can I make
the video window go away so all I have is the little control panel?