[PLUG] OT Warcraft II BNE

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Mon Nov 26 01:51:32 UTC 2007

It works in Windows XP, but I can't save games if I'm a non
administrative user...

Anyone know a way around this that doesn't involve installing XP to a fat
file system?

I'm surprised Microsoft didn't design a way into XP to allow games that want
to save in the wrong place to do so.  This no saving to the program folders
business breaks a heck of a lot of software.

I wonder how the ReactOS system will handle this problem?  Warcraft II BNE is
technically an NT 4.0 compatible program.  NT 4.0 has NTFS, albeit an older
version of it than XP does.  I doubt you can save as a non administrative
user on an NT 4.0 system, though I could be wrong.

It's too bad that old dos games which won't run in ordinary dos are
without a currrently supported system.  Wine doesn't run Warcraft II
BNE and I highly
doubt that dosbox will.  Plain old dos isn't listed as a supported system.
Actually, the game will run in wine, but so slowly that there's no way you
can play it.  Too bad I can't legally recompile this program to run natively
on Linux.  I know there was an attempt to fascilitate that called freecraft,
but that project got crushed.  Why did Exult suceeded where freecraft failed?

Michael C. Robinson