[PLUG] mplayer Usage (WAS Re: Launch executable...)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Nov 26 05:57:48 UTC 2007

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:38:12 -0800
Paul Mullen <pm at nellump.net> dijo:

> mplayer is as much about audio as it is video. It has a nifty bag of
> tricks that are worth learning if you ever find yourself needing to
> transcode one format to another, rip audio out of a video track, etc.
>
> > Having said that, I'd try Mplayer if I could get it to play both
> > streaming radio and MP3s,
>
> "mplayer happyfunmusic.mp3" is about as simple as it gets.
>
> > but there seems to be no way to create a playlist anyway nor, could
> > I figure out how to get it to play a streaming radio station, e.g.:
>
> mplayer has to be told that you're feeding it a playlist, as opposed
> to a file:
>
>   mplayer http://shoutcast.omroep.nl:8148/listen.pls
>
> It handled all of your streams just fine, but couldn't actually play
> two of them (radiocult.asx, CatalunyaMusic.ram) due to codec issues
> (namely, lack of support for newer Windows-y stuff). The others came
> through great.

I tried opening a radio station from Open URL, but it said it could not
resolve AF INET6 for the URL. From the command line I got:

jjj at Devil7:~/Desktop/essential-amd64-20071007$ mplayer
http://home.themaestro.net/3mbs.asx MPlayer 2:1.0~rc1-0ubuntu13.1 (C)
2000-2006 MPlayer Team CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7300  @
2.00GHz (Family: 6, Model: 15, Stepping: 10) CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1
3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1 Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control. Playing http://home.themaestro.net/3mbs.asx.
Resolving home.themaestro.net for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: home.themaestro.net
Resolving home.themaestro.net for AF_INET...
Connecting to server home.themaestro.net[209.62.20.192]: 80...
Cache size set to 320 KBytes
Cache fill:  0.19% (632 bytes)
Exiting... (End of file)

> > Is there a way to create a playlist in Mplayer that contains radio
> > station links like the above?
>
> I've never bothered with the mplayer GUI, but the command-line version
> has no support for creating playlists. It's designed for playback (and
> transcoding), not collection management.

Well, collection management is pretty critical. I don't need a fancy
collection management utility, just someplace where I can save the
radio station URLs and click on them to open them. Typing or even
copying and pasting, is tedious.

I did get Mplayer to play MP3s, but for internet radio I don't think it
is the tool I need.