[PLUG] OT Warcraft II BNE

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Mon Nov 26 15:38:49 UTC 2007

someone wrote:
> It works in Windows XP, but I can't save games if I'm a non
> administrative user...

You just need to find out where it's saving the games, and give write
permissions for your limited user account (or Everyone group) to that
folder.  This part must be done as an Administrator though.

> I'm surprised Microsoft didn't design a way into XP to allow games that want
> to save in the wrong place to do so.  This no saving to the program folders
> business breaks a heck of a lot of software.

As mentioned above, MS does provide a way.  That game is probably old or
wasn't coded properly for multi-user environments.

> It's too bad that old dos games which won't run in ordinary dos are
> without a currrently supported system.

Enter VMware, then dust off an old MS OS that does support your game.

> Too bad I can't legally recompile this program to run natively
> on Linux.

I'm sure there would be a lot more to it than recompiling.

--
- m0gely