[PLUG] Not Windows or OS X

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 18:49:49 UTC 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 11:47 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Galen Seitz wrote:
>
> > That may have been the case earlier, but I suspect the article is
> > referring to this machine, which comes with Ubuntu.
> >
> > http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/10/200-everex-gree.html
>
> galen,
>
>    That's better.

Yup, Ubuntu, not Linspire.  Got a gPC from Wal-Mart.  Meets my
expectations.  Here's a hardware listing using lshw:

http://groups.google.com/group/cwelug/msg/643c6bf8d5fdae6c

Works great for its intended use: browsing the web over DSL and playing DVDs.

Naturally, I cloned the drive: gOS works fine on my other old
machines.  I also repartitioned the drive to make it dual boot: runs
standard Ubuntu 7.10 just fine.  It's not blazingly fast performance,
but it's decent.

Other tweaks:
 - apt-get works
 - installed apache2
 - installed openssh-server

What would be cool would be to install an RDP server on it so that
Windows users can connect to it with their Remote Desktop Connection
client.

Regards,
- Robert