[PLUG] Launch executable, nothing happens?

Nick Aubert nickaubert at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 21:38:35 UTC 2007

According to Real's Helix website, their player doesn't support ALSA
or ESD, but it does support OSS:

https://player.helixcommunity.org/2007/releases/rp10gold/RP10_0_9ReleaseNotes.html

This is most likely why Real's audio output is different from the
other players you've tried.  The alsa-oss package in Synaptic provides
ALSA with an OSS compatibility layer.  This should give applications
that only understand OSS the ability to play through your ALSA system.
 Now that you have that installed, there should be some way to get
Real player to work... though if you've tried this hard for this long
it may be more trouble than it's worth.

According to Totem's home page, it supports several playlist formats.
If it does everything else you need, it sounds to me like figuring out
how to get Totem to work with playlists is your best bet.

On Nov 25, 2007 7:13 AM, Carlos Konstanski
<ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com> wrote:
> I often have to use the following tactic to play stuff that is
> embedded into web pages (streaming or not).  This is because of a lack
> of web browser plugin support:

I used to do this quite a bit until I got the MPlayer browser plug-in
working.  Have you tried it?

# emerge -av mplayerplug-in

It's got scads of USE flags, including options for Real, WMP, and
Quicktime.  It works for me, but I haven't made the jump to 64 bit.
There's a (possibly outdated) Howto for it on the Gentoo wiki.

-Nick