[PLUG] Cheap and reliable wireless card

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Nov 29 07:52:17 UTC 2007

There is a problem with my new Lenovo T61 and its Intel 4965AGN
wireless chip. It works beautifully when it works, but anywhere from a
few minutes to an hour or so after connecting to a wireless network, I
will suddenly lose my DHCP lease. (At least, I think that is what is
happening.) Thereafter there is no hope of going anywhere on the net.
Everything says I am still connected, but I can't go anywhere.
Rebooting is the only repair option that I have found. Sometimes even
rebooting does not get me back online. In one instance I had to disable
the radio in the BIOS, boot, restart, enable the radio in the BIOS, and
then reboot again in order to get it working.

According to posts in the Ubuntu forums Intel is furiously working on
updates to the driver to resolve the problem. In fact, I have also
found posts on the net from Vista users relating the same issue. In the
meantime, I don't want to futz with this any further. I thought of
trying ndiswrapper and the Windows driver, but I'd rather just buy a
cheap PCMCIA wireless card that works. However, I want to pay the least
amount possible because, as soon as Intel finally fixes the driver, it
will become surplus. (And to be donated to the Clinic or something.) I
know there are a number of people here who use PCMCIA wireless cards.
My OS is Gutsy x86_64. Can someone suggest a cheap card that works?