[PLUG] Not Windows or OS X

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Thu Nov 29 20:00:18 UTC 2007

Galen Seitz wrote:
> Rogan Creswick wrote:
>
>> In other news.. I too have been seriously debating the XO, and I go
>> back and forth on a daily basis.  What I really would like to find is
>> essentially a Lonovo X-series tablet with a docking station that
>> includes an extra hd, PCIe video, and optical device.  Has anyone
>> heard of such a beast? (Tablet portion optional -- basically I have
>> need of an ultra-portable with fast video and multi-monitor
>> capabilities when I'm home.)
>
> The wikipedia article on PCIe has some information on External PCI
> Express.  The info in the article says that there currently are no
> products that support external PCIe with bandwidths above that of a x1
> slot.
>
> galen

According to the most recent spec, there are three USB ports and an SD
slot. It looks like the preferred maintenance toolset is to boot update
media off a USB device, which means that it can boot USB devices. :) It
does not have a wired NIC as far as I can tell, just wireless. Since I
don't have a wireless router, I'll probably get a USB NIC for using it
at home. I know ... wireless routers are cheap. :)

I don't think the XO is really appropriate for "business travel" usage.
If you have enough external storage, you can load anything that will run
on Fedora Core 7 / x86 and use it, but that's really counter to the
philosophy of the device. The ASUS Eee (if they are actually available)
is more like a "real adult computer" and has a similar low-power
footprint (and more RAM).