[PLUG] Not Windows or OS X

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Thu Nov 29 21:15:32 UTC 2007

Rogan Creswick wrote:
> I guess it depends on your business ;) Neither the Eee or the XO will
> work for my daily use, and the XO has some very tangible benefits over
> the Eee.  ~3x the batter life, more rugged exterior, better wifi
> antennae, and some really cool recharging options.  (does anyone know
> if the footpedal / pull cord / solar panel will be made available to
> us?)

The FAQ on the web site indicated that none of these options would be
shipped with the "Get One" part of the package. In fact, it's not clear
which of these are actually operational at the moment. The "Get One"
ships with an AC power cord.

> The question that I'm up against is whether I'll need a new "real
> adult computer" in the near future or not.  If I do, then I probably
> shouldn't be dropping $400 on something that's solely for travel.

I don't travel enough to justify a new laptop. I took my ancient Compaq
Presario 2110US with me to RubyConf, praying that it would survive. It
did -- it does. The only thing wrong with it is a bent PCMCIA pin, and
I've got USB adapters for everything that's not built in.

I'm pretty down on regular laptops at the moment. I'd have to be on the
road at least 50 percent on paid business to justify anything bigger
than a fancy cell phone/PDA. If your business can be run with only one
computer, sure, get a laptop. But once you're into multiple machines,
full-power "thick client" laptops just don't make any sense to me.

By the way, the XO screen is 1200x900 and has a 200 DPI monochrome mode.
And the keyboard, while smaller than "normal", is bigger than the
Toshiba Libretto 70, and I had no problem using that.