[PLUG] Not Windows or OS X

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Nov 30 20:33:06 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 20:11 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> I went ahead and sent off for one. If I can't type on it, I'll find
> someone who can. ;) I had an HP-100LX Palmtop PC and the keyboard wasn't
> as much of an impediment to use as the tiny screen was.

If you could use the Palmtop, then you would probably do okay with the
XO. My wife had an old 300LX that I tried to use over the summer when I
was desperate for something that would allow me to write away from my
desk in the basement, but I found it impossible to use. OTOH, I don't
have too many problems with the keyboard on my Treo, but I can't get
anywhere near 40wpm.

The guy in the FSF booth at LISA a couple weeks ago said people who were
hunt-and-peckers usually did fine with it and even some touch-typists
managed to adjust. I tried the model on display and thought I might be
able to adjust, but my forearms are in bad enough shape.

> Seriously, though, I did look at the ASUS Eee (of which Amazon has none
> in stock) and the Nokia N800. I went with the XO because it looks like
> it has the best screen of the bunch and the best power consumption
> footprint. There's also a year of T-mobile free thrown in on the XO, and
> the XO software looks a *lot* cooler than the ASUS.

I am seriously considering the Eee, but I am waiting until BestBuy has
them in-stock, so I can actually try the keyboard.

Wil