[PLUG] Small hardened server

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue Oct 2 05:01:25 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 07:13:36PM -0700, Kris wrote:
> Anyone know if I might find a device that:
>  * Is small
>  * Preferably fanless, but not a requirement
>  * Two free 32-bit PCI slots
>  * Redundant 110V power supply
>  * Flash capable (CF, PATA port)

Two 32-bit slots might be a deal-killer here.

> Small with redundant power seems to be difficult to find, even in the
> extreme-temp embedded market.

Yeah, it seems to be an either-or thing.

> I'm looking to build a trixbox server that needs POTS capability that
> I can wall mount.  Anything delivering E911 must have redundant power.

Hm.  Is that strictly necessary, or just recommended?  That said,
there's a couple manufacturers who make redundant PSUs in standard
sizes.  Might check Chenbro.

> I can get affordable SiliconMechanics 2-U boxes with redundant power,
> but they're large, noisy and CPU overkill.

I suspect you're gonna have to build your own system.

(Hm, that suggests to me an alternative, using a mini-ITX with one of
those 12v->ATX power supplies, powered by a 120VAC->12VDC power-supply
and maybe a float-charged 12V gel-cell, all tied together with diodes.)