[PLUG] Joe Jobbed

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Oct 5 00:01:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Russell Johnson wrote:

> Another thing to think about.
>
> Some of the people paying to have spam sent (they are the real crooks
> here) are paying for the number of messages delivered, and some are
> paying for the number of messages sent. It doesn't take too much
> effort to make sure all the messages I send out are delivered
> *SOMEWHERE*.
>
> As long as they aren't rejected, they are delivered.

I am seeing a big increase in mailbounce spam with the return address
being an admin address for one of my domains.  Most are from Russia.

Quite annoying.

I planned on installing policyd, but it requires using mysql.  I have
planned on rewriting it to use sqlite, but have not had the time.

> Russ
>
> On Oct 4, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>>
>>> Been happening to me for years (think of how many times
>>> 'merlyn at stonehenge.com' might have been scraped by now.
>>
>>    The spam attempts that puzzle me the most (and for which the
>> subscribers
>> of both the mail help and postfix mail lists had no insight) are the
>> messages addressed to 'rshepardXXXX at ...' where the XXXX represent four
>> random characters. I can reject hundreds of those per day. Why
>> anyone would
>> think they'd hit on a legitimate username that way escapes my
>> comprehension.

Never trust a queue structure designed by a cryptographer.