[PLUG] Joe Jobbed

Ken Hill ken at scottshill.com
Fri Oct 5 00:12:02 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces at lists.pdxlinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces at lists.pdxlinux.org] On Behalf Of alan
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 5:05 PM
To: General Linux/UNIX discussion and help; civil and on-topic
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Joe Jobbed

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Ken Hill wrote:

> I think I will do some research into what State governments and the
Federal
> government is doing to legislate SPAM. IMHO, SPAM is like telemarketing; I
> don't like it but there appears to be some legal protections with respect
> free speech.

This is not Free Speach.  This is abuse of resources. I have yet to find a
spammer that uses his own machines and bandwidth.  Instead they use any
machine they can hijack.  They steal resources.

The feds go after them when they can.  Many are off shore.

The only spammer that has been delt with effectivly was a Russian a few
years back.  I think they found him in a ditch.

Well, the same could be said about telemarketing and junk snail-mail. These
are both an abuse of resources and labor. In the instance of telemarketing,
it is abuse of telephone bandwidth. In the instance of junk snail-mail, it
is an abuse of federal income tax revenue dollars that is subsidizing the US
Postal Service (as well as the physical labor the postal carries provide
delivering such junk snail-mail). I don't mean to defend SPAM, I dispise it,
but I have a gut feeling that there are some legal constitutional
protections that allow it to continue.