[PLUG] Joe Jobbed

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Fri Oct 5 16:08:57 UTC 2007

Ed Sawicki wrote:
> Ken Hill wrote:
>> I find it a bit offensive for the linked article to assume it is due to a
>> hacked Windows box.
>
> It is no assumption. It is fact as I know it. See my
> 2005 article on this subject - and remember that this
> was written in 2005;  some things have changed since
> then.
>
> http://www.biznix.org/articles/winspam.html

This just out from eBay - rootkitted Linux boxes are a growing source
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/scrt/CD0B9D97EE6FE411CC25736A000E4723

When it comes to launching online attacks, criminals are getting more organised
and branching out from the Windows operating system, says eBay's security chief.

[multi-paragraph snip]

Cullinane's experience with phishing goes back to his previous employer,
Washington Mutual, which has been one of the top phishing targets in the US.

While there, he noticed an unusual trend when taking down phishing sites.

"The vast majority of the threats we saw were rootkitted Linux boxes, which was
rather startling. We expected Microsoft boxes," he said.

--
   Michael Rasmussen, Portland, Ore, USA
  Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity