[PLUG] Permissions Denied - CDROM

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Oct 5 17:07:13 UTC 2007

Can anyone offer an idea as to why I get "Permissions Denied" when I try
to mount certain CDROMs?

On my recent trip to the Tetons I took along my WinXP laptop so I could
download my Canon Digital Rebel each evening. After downloading, I also
burned a CD so I had a backup of what was on the laptop hard drive.

Today, I tried looking at those CDs on my Linux box (SuSE 10.1). When I
put the CD into the drive, I get an alert box that says, "Permissions
Denied". If I put the CD into the laptop drive, I can read the files
that are on it with the Canon software.

I have already copied the files from the laptop to my Linux box over my
home network. While I have yet to download a program that can deal with
Canon's .crw files, Konqueror happily displays Canon's .thm 160 x 120
jpeg images. (Why Canon chose to put the .thm extension on them I don't
know. Konqueror looked inside and found the jpeg.)

Anyway, I'd like to understand what's going on. I burned those CDs as
multiple sessions, leaving the disk open at the end of each session. I
don't know if that matters to Linux or not.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens