[PLUG] PLESK - was Joe Jobbed

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Sat Oct 6 04:58:49 UTC 2007

Ronald Chmara wrote:

> Plesk is incompatible with secure servers, because it just about
> *requires* one to run vulnerable software, in order for Plesk to keep
> working right, and does not self patch so more secure versions in a
> timely manner.

What is a secure server?  By your other post, it seems more that the
level of security on a server is by effort of the admin to keep it up to
  date in the context of security.  Why does running Plesk not allow
this?  I am on a couple security mailing lists and semi-regularly check
a few security sites for reports, but am by no means an expert.  I don't
know you, but it's possible that you could make me look silly in this
arena, and no doubt there is always a bigger fish that could make your
efforts look ameture.  So it's difficult to draw a line here.  Security
requires multi-facet, multi-level prevention, and sometimes running
something that has a bad track record is mitigated by other counter
measures.

I guess my point is, most people (hopefully) sit and put a lot of
thought into what they want to run on their servers/machines.  Some of
the decisions yield to business plans and goals, but in any case,
security should alway be a concern, and effort is required to lessen the
risk.  SWsoft does provide means for keeping Plesk up to date.  The
level of effectiveness could be argued, but it's something.  You're not
wrong, I just think there's more to it.

--
- m0gely