[PLUG] DVD Writer Brand Preferences

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 18:13:00 UTC 2007

On 10/6/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>
> > I'm in the market for a new DVD burner. ENU has several brands - Asus,
> > LG, LiteOn, NEC, Pioneer. Any preferences?

I've had good luck with all those, except LG. I have no experience with
those positive or negative.
I currently own an NEC, and it's been a workhorse. No problems whatsoever.

As for Nero, eh, I used it when it first came out, but it didn't offer
anything above what the OSS burning tools could give me, and it was wrapped
up in a really cluttered interface. I removed it quickly.

> SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X
> DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB
> Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM

I've generally had good luck with Samsungs as well, and they are usually
really really quiet. However, there was one model of CD-RW that I deployed
at work once and they were super flaky.

By and large, optical drives have become so commoditized, you would be hard
pressed to find a bad one from a major label. I'd suggest deciding if there
is some feature you really want (quiet, particularly good DAO, lightscribe,
ability to rip Wii games, etc) and just get the cheapest one that has that
feature.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-