[PLUG] Joe Jobbed

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sun Oct 7 15:09:25 UTC 2007

Ken> Well, the same could be said about telemarketing and junk
Ken> snail-mail. These are both an abuse of resources and labor. In the
Ken> instance of telemarketing, it is abuse of telephone bandwidth. In the
Ken> instance of junk snail-mail, it is an abuse of federal income tax revenue
Ken> dollars that is subsidizing the US Postal Service (as well as the
Ken> physical labor the postal carries provide delivering such junk
Ken> snail-mail). I don't mean to defend SPAM, I dispise it, but I have a gut
Ken> feeling that there are some legal constitutional protections that allow
Ken> it to continue.

For classic phone lines and the USPS though, I don't pay anything to *receive*
a message.  That's why telemarketing calls are forbidden to cell phones,
because in general, the reciever *pays* for airtime.  That's also why spam is
worth being regulated, because in general, the recipient *pays* (in the form
of having to buy more bandwidth, either individually or collectively) for the
delivered message.