[PLUG] A Distribution Question

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Tue Oct 9 02:33:15 UTC 2007

Quentin Hartman wrote:
> On 10/8/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Quentin Hartman wrote:
>>
>>> When I was running ye olde Slack, I got most of my help in #slackware on
>>> EFnet. I see they also have a freenode channel nowadays. I'm sure
>> someone
>>> in there would be willing and able to help you out.
>>    Thanks, Quentin. I'll give that a try ... as soon as I find a tool and
>> learn how to use it. :-)
>

> I'm sorry, I always assume that everyone is familiar with IRC. If you have
> a  functional X setup, xchat is one of the better IRC clients on Linux. If
> you are console-only, Irssi is probably your best bet. If stranded on a
> Windows machine, Mirc would be my first choice. All of those (except maybe
> Irssi?) include server lists out of the box, connect to either the list
> Freenode or EFnet server, and once connected, join the #slackware channel.
> This can be done by entering "/join #slackware" on the IRC command line.
> More good info for new IRC users can be found at http://www.irchelp.org/.

Cautions on mIRC:

1. It's shareware, not free in either sense.
2. It's *very* popular, so there are a lot of malware scripts available
for infecting your PC. I don't know how well #EFnet is policed for stuff
like that, but some of the other networks just plain aren't safe to run
mIRC on.

KVirc does have a Windows port, and I think XChat will run under Cygwin.