[PLUG] Joe Jobbed - security considerations

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Tue Oct 9 13:39:42 UTC 2007

Rich Shepard wrote:
> I upgrade anyway even if they don't seem applicable to our tiny local network.
>    Wouldn't a better metric of security be related to exploitations rather
> than vulnerabilities that are potenial rather than actual? ... Combined, quite high
> vulnerabilities every time we're driving state and county highways. Yet the
> actual incidence is low compared to the exposure. Isn't this also true in
> network/system security?

When connected to the Internet you are on the same road as the billions of
others at the same moment.  Should the automated process that targets the
vulnerability you've not patched and isn't blocked by your firewall sweep into
your IP address you're toast.

A review of firewall logs will show some attempt to access your system every
few seconds.

It's more like putting you on the road with all the drunk drivers at the same
time.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity