[PLUG] Need lbgtkembedmoz file from a 32-bit system

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Oct 9 15:51:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 03:21:15 -0700
"Matt McKenzie" <lnxknight at gmail.com> dijo:

> On 10/8/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Rogan and Don. I tried it and it's still not working. But I now
> > have the ear of an Adobe tech person (in India, but what the heck).
> > He's giving me more stuff to try.
> >

> You may have gotten (and discarded) this solution, but here is what I do-
> run 32bit Firefox.  Actually on Linux I run the Swiftfox modified version,
> 32bit.
> I run Fedora 7 64bit, but since most of the Web 2.0 (tm) (roll-eyes)
> crap...er stuff out there needs flash or what-have-you, and those are still
> as far as I know 32bit only,
> the best way to go about web browsing for now anyway is to use 32bit browser
> with all the 32bit extensions.
> I haven't tried the new Adobe yet but I can only guess that if you use 32bit
> Firefox it should work with that OK.
> Your 64bit distro does have the 32bit compatibility libraries I am
> guessing?

Actually (at least on Ubuntu amd64) you can get 32-bit flash plugins
working in your 64-bit browser. I use 64-bit Firefox (without flash)
for most browsing, but I also have 64-bit Opera 9.5 (alpha) with flash
in case I want to see something on youtube.

As for the 32-bit libraries, several months ago, when building a new
computer, I experimented with tons of other distros, including 64-bit
Fedora 7, at the time recently released. It was very nice and I was
sorely tempted. One thing that I noticed about it was that installing
32-bit apps was a snap compared to 64-bit Ubuntu. I hated to give that
up, but I missed my Synaptic too much.

The Adobe guy gave me a bunch of other instructions overnight. I'll
fiddle with them later today. But it appears the only advantage to
Reader 8.1 is that now you can have an online meeting with a client to
get design approval, and now you get to play games with additional
Adobe security requirements. I can install 7.0.9 from the medibuntu
repositories and it works without any fuss,* so I'm not going to spend
a lot of time on 8.1.

* "Without any fuss" means "except that you can't find your printers
installed in CUPS because it requires a bunch of 32-bit CUPS libraries
that 64-bit Ubuntu does not install." I became a beta tester of the 8.1
release in the hope that I could assist Adobe in fixing this for the
8.1 release. As a result of that experience I can say that the entire
Adobe Reader/Linux development team knows exactly what libraries are
needed, but they evidently chose to ignore the issue and release 8.1 as
32-bit only, without even giving a how-to for 64-bit Ubuntu users on
their website. Bah.