[PLUG] NFS mounted home directories

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Oct 10 01:16:48 UTC 2007

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing at gmail.com> writes:

Eric> # from Russell Senior # on Tuesday 09 October 2007 15:43:

>> I am wanting to set up nfs mounted home directories for a bunch of
>> boxes on my network.  I'd like to ask folks-in-the-know where the
>> gotchas are likely to be.  The goal being that it won't matter
>> where one sits down, they'll be able to login and have their
>> homedir right there.

Eric> I just ssh -X into the other machine.

That would have the same "already open profile" problem for Mozilla.

In my case, I have few desktops (2) and several more headless boxes
that I want for the CPU.  I don't want to have to care which box I
have the shell on from a homedir (other dir too) pov.

Eric> Anyway, some thoughts:

Eric> caches and tempfiles: should be per-machine, but are often found
Eric> in ~/ (bind mount or symlink to a local dir?)

Hmm. yeah, maybe there is some potential there.  I have not done
anything with fancy mounts.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net