[PLUG] Best live CD for a MacBook

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Wed Oct 10 02:47:51 UTC 2007

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> A student in one of my classes has a brand new MacBook and she is
>> keenly interested in exploring Linux. When I explained about live CDs
>> she became even more interested. I know zero about Macs, but I know
>> there are some people here using Linux on Macs. I have a genuine Dapper
>> Mac CD I can give her, but are there any other distros out there that
>> have live CDs for MacBooks?
>>

> I've never owned a Mac, but I think one of the charms of MacOS is that
> you don't really need to dual-boot it or run a virtualized Linux on it
> -- it can build and run just about any open-source software you'd ever
> want to run. IMHO there is no reason to pay the MacOS and Macintosh
> hardware premium and then waste disk space or processor cycles on Linux. :)

I own a few Macs and I agree. When I use the Mac I don't want
the Linux-like experiences that are discussed here regularly,
like CUPS printing issues, USB issues, proprietary driver issues,
etc. - especially when most open source applications are available
for OS X. I want it to just work - and it does.

None of this means that I dislike Linux. I dislike the monopoly,
the patent issues, the lawsuits, and the marketplace enthusiasm
for crappy products that brought us to this point.

Ed