[PLUG] Joe Jobbed

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Wed Oct 10 14:31:49 UTC 2007

At Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:12:47 -0700,
Brent Rieck wrote:

> Ronald Chmara wrote:
> > #php -v
> >
> > If you're not at 5.2.4 (or a patched equivalent), you're running bad
> > code, with literally *thousands* of security and stability patches
> > omitted.
>
> They fixed *thousands* of things in between versions 5.2.3 and 5.2.4?
>
> --Brent

I'm no PHP insider, but I believe it.  Fixing 1000 bugs is not
uncommon in a release cycle of a large piece of software, and neither
is introducing 1000 more.

My favorite is Bug Fixing Day, where every developer concentrates on
closing bug slips as fast as possible in order to win some silly
prize.  Naturally the fixes don't get the kind of attention they
really need when everyone is in a hurry, so new bugs are easily
introduced.  But the project manager feels great because the numbers
look so good.