[PLUG] Best live CD for a MacBook

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Oct 10 18:56:10 UTC 2007

Thanks to all who replied, including those who pointed out that she has
to hold down C while booting (which I would never have thought of). I
have an old Dapper Mac CD, but I suspect it won't work because her
computer is (as has been pointed out) an Intel-based Mac. I will also
have a Feisty i386 and a Fedora 7 i386 CD with me, and I even have a
Feisty 64 bit and an old Knoppix 5.0 that I keep in my locker at
school. She'll have the MacBook with her so after class tomorrow we'll
spend a little time fiddling with things. Meantime I already got her
started on FOSS by having her install OOo and the Junicode font that I
use for linguistics. She just got this MacBook and it's her first
experience on a Mac. She is fumbling around trying to figure things out
- she couldn't even figure out how to install the font at first. Her only
previous experience was with that other OS, so when she sees Linux it
won't seem any stranger to her than the MacOS.

Whether she decides to dual boot, stick with MacOS or go completely to
Linux is her decision. For now the whole purpose is for her to explore.