[PLUG] Best live CD for a MacBook

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Oct 10 22:20:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I was clicking on icons trying to figure out what they did since
> there was no text, and ... oops! There it went. So much for
> "intuitive" UIs.

There are very few intuitive UIs in the world. Spears and swords are
very intuitive. Door knobs are usually pretty good. Among more complex
machines, I suspect single-speed bicycles are pretty intuitive (even
if the skills needed for riding one aren't), at least when it comes to
going; stopping is another matter entirely. :-)

But computers? Bwaaahaaaahaaaa!

Given the reliance of current computing UIs on advanced language
skills and complex metaphors, none will ever even approach intuitive.
I suspect developers would be better off aiming for more attainable
targets: "consistent," "attractive," "unambiguous," "efficient,"
"flexible," and perhaps even "easy to learn for fundamental tasks."