[PLUG] UIs

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 22:43:41 UTC 2007

# from Paul Heinlein
# on Wednesday 10 October 2007 15:20:

>Given the reliance of current computing UIs on advanced language
>skills and complex metaphors, none will ever even approach intuitive.

Don't forget the fact that we're hobbling along with basically one
pointer and one button.

Yes, the pointer has ~3 buttons and the keyboard has 105 keys, but
that's really just two inputs (the mouse is roughly 2D analog and the
keyboard is basically 1D with 105 discrete values.)  You can't
(typically) send different keys as simultaneous input to different
programs and there's only one pointer.  In other words, the opposable
thumb is not needed (and thus offers no advantage.)

Yes, we're designing for monkeys and expecting them to apply advanced
language skills to complex metaphors.

--Eric
--
The opinions expressed in this e-mail were randomly generated by
the computer and do not necessarily reflect the views of its owner.