[PLUG] Joe Jobbed

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Thu Oct 11 05:01:37 UTC 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 9:21 AM, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 11:59:27PM -0700, Ronald Chmara wrote:
>> Here's what I'm rolling out (over time, big companies move slow):
>> One distro.
> I don't mean to start a distro war, but which one?

CentOS+the occasional exception. Most of the staff were familiar with
RHEL, Fedora, etc., so it was a matter of choosing from that general
family. We have exceptions for SVN (debian), a FreeBSD security/
utility box, and an Ubuntu desktop for one guy who just adores it,
but those are VM images, and not publicly accessible.

>> One .configure for the binaries.
> Hm?  So you're not using packages, just compiling from tarballs?

When I can get a package manager with 24 hour turnaround on zero-day
releases, snapshots, and bugfixes, I'm more than happy to use such a
thing. Until then, yes, configure stings and compiles... (though I
didn't mention the x86/64 bit (and other optimizations) compile
variations issue.)

-Bop