[PLUG] Help diagnosing system restarts

Aaron Ten Clay aaron at madebyai.com
Thu Oct 11 13:37:55 UTC 2007

All,

I've got a box setup for my mother who is 300 miles away from me. I've
got logsentry emailing me unusual system activity once an hour and I can
ssh into the box from where I am.

Here's the problem:

I started noticing a couple days ago kernel boot messages in some of the
hourly reports. I thought it was a bit odd but not too serious. This
morning I see that every hour for the past 24 hours her system has
rebooted itself. There are no obvious messages pertaining to the reboot
in the log; presumably something catastrophic happens and the disk isn't
sync'd before the reboot.

The only pattern I've noticed thus far, by looking at the timing of the
kernel boot messages, is that it's slowly getting later in the hour. For
example:

00:32:28
01:32:48
02:33:05
03:33:26
04:33:44
05:34:03
06:34:24
07:34:41
08:35:05
09:35:20
10:35:41

and so on. Any ideas what might be causing this? I spoke to her and she has noticed some unusual fan activity, but I'm not sure how that could explain the reboots.

TIA,
Aaron