[PLUG] Charlie Stross at Powells Thursday at 7

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Oct 11 16:02:07 UTC 2007

Charlie Stross, author of fine open-source related science fiction,
will be signing books tonight 7PM at Powells main store.  There may
or may not be an afters - Stross has a 5am flight to SF tomorrow.

I am currently finishing his latest novel, "Halting State".  The
story involves a bank robbery in an online role-playing game.  One
of the protagonists is a Python-using game hacker.  No code samples
so far, sigh.  "grep" and "ping" figure prominently.  Minor characters
wearing tshirts saying "traceroute is my bitch".  A little dense with
Scottish slang and jargon (Google is both referred to in the book,
and useful for decyphering it), but twisty and fun.

Keith