[PLUG] maybe plug-talk material, but ...

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Oct 11 16:44:54 UTC 2007

Kurt Sussman wrote:
> m0gely (m0gely at telestream.com) typed this ...
>> Russell Senior wrote:
>>
>>>   a) what is that stuff?
>> Possibly built-in fire suppression system? :)
>
> Actually, that may not need a smiley. I live in a condo, and around my
> front door, there is a nearly-continuous strip of tape that (I'm told)
> will expand to seal the door at a certain temperature.

I've not heard of firestop used in single family residential
construction, but it is used all the time in commercial/industrial
construction. Here's a page with several examples of intumescent
sealants -- sealants that expand when they get hot:

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-18981&ref=google_firestop

Here's another page with the "picture is worth a thousand words"
demonstration of the idea:

http://www.uniquefirestop.com/

--
Regards,