[PLUG] Help diagnosing system restarts

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Thu Oct 11 20:32:36 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> wrote:
> > 0:32:28
> > 1:32:48 1:00:20
> > 2:33:05 1:00:17
> > 3:33:26 1:00:21
> > 4:33:44 1:00:18
> > 5:34:03 1:00:19
> > 6:34:24 1:00:21
> > 7:34:41 1:00:17
> > 8:35:05 1:00:24
> > 9:35:20         1:00:15
> > 10:35:41 1:00:21
> >

> These times seem to eliminate cron. It is good at executing at a
> certain time. These are all about 1:00:21 from the previous time.
> Looks like "at" or some other scheduler.  How are you getting the
> email updates. Is this scheduled, or based on what happens in the
> logs?
>
> Bill

If we keep following this train of thought. You get emailed unusual
log entries every hour. Let's say that whatever process you use to
generate this warning email also triggers a reboot.  Then you would
get a reboot an hour after there was an unusual event like a reboot.
Could this be what is happening? Can you stop the email warnings and
see if the reboots stop.

Bill