[PLUG] Help diagnosing system restarts

Jason Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 06:08:02 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Aaron Ten Clay <aaron at madebyai.com> wrote:
> Bill Barry wrote:

> >> These times seem to eliminate cron. It is good at executing at a
> >> certain time. These are all about 1:00:21 from the previous time.
> >> Looks like "at" or some other scheduler.  How are you getting the
> >> email updates. Is this scheduled, or based on what happens in the
> >> logs?
> >>
> >> Bill
> >>

> > If we keep following this train of thought. You get emailed unusual
> > log entries every hour. Let's say that whatever process you use to
> > generate this warning email also triggers a reboot.  Then you would
> > get a reboot an hour after there was an unusual event like a reboot.
> > Could this be what is happening? Can you stop the email warnings and
> > see if the reboots stop.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> The emails are sent by logsentry, which is started by cron.hourly. I
> disabled cron, ntpd, even X ... nothing was running but sshd and a few
> login processes. The system still rebooted dutifully 1:00:20 after the
> previous time.
>
> Wil suggested setting up network logging. I'll look into that. I have no
> experience with it though.
>
> Thanks for your input!

Is the system set up to automatically reboot on a kernel panic?  Check
/proc/sys/kernel/panic and/or look for panic=<some number> on the
kernel command line in the bootloader.

What hardware do you have?  You mention newer Intel board, what
specifically?  Have you checked for a BIOS update?

What other hardware is in the system?  lspci?

Lots of questions, just trying to narrow down :-)

Jason