[PLUG] More tiny PC goodness

Terry Griffin griffint at pobox.com
Sat Oct 13 19:03:27 UTC 2007

On Saturday 13 October 2007 11:10 am, m0gely wrote:
> http://www.fit-pc.com/index.htm
>
> This would make a great little firewall.  Comes pre-installed with Gentoo.

I got one of these last month. I managed to get CentOS 4.5 installed. It's
working well so far. CentOS 5 is not an option because it requires an i686
or equivalent. The CPU in the fit-PC is an i586 clone. This is something to
keep in mind if you are thinking of installing a pre-compiled distribution.
I guess that's why they picked Gentoo.

The intent is for this to become my 24x7 "home management" server, with
X-10 controls, weather station monitoring, etc. Then I don't have to leave
my power-hungry desktop PC turned on all the time. Plus with the desktop PC
relieved of 24x7 duties I'll be able to get back to more expirementation
with various distros.

Terry