[PLUG] Victor is trying to understand DNS

Victor Soich vsoich at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 06:40:14 UTC 2007

Hi,

I installed Debian on my machine.  I have an IP address through
comcast through DHCP.  I am making use of dyndns.org.  I have a VPS
through slicehost.  I am trying to understand DNS and I think I
understand it, but I want to have my understanding verified with a few
possibly naive questions.

In order to set up a primary name server and secondary name server I
have to have a static IP address, i.e.  I can't set up the
aforementioned name servers because dyndns.org takes care of finding
my host computer.  Or is it the case that dyndns.org "finds" my host,
and my host can be a primary name server.  Am I understanding this
correctly?  And am I saying it appropriately?

Also, through my VPS, it's pointless to have a dns server, because my
VPS is a single server, not a network of computers.  Is this correct?

Essentially, the only reason I would set up a primary name server and
secondary name server is if I had a static IP address at my home, and
under that IP address, ( a submask, I think )  I had a network of
computers that I wanted to be accessible by the outside Internet.  Is
this correct?

Anyways, I've gone from almost complete ignorance to a hazy
understanding of the ramifications of a static IP address viz a viz
DNS, and I hope I articulated my questions appropriately.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Victor Soich