[PLUG] Victor is trying to understand DNS

Victor Soich vsoich at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 07:44:47 UTC 2007

On 10/14/07, Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> wrote:

> The answer to your question is hidden in this set of riddles.
>
> What does a nameserver do?

A nameserver tells a client what name and domaian of a host is
associated with what IP address.

When do you need one?

You need one when you want a host to be available to the internet clients.

Does dyndns.org
> qualify as a nameserver?

I suppose it does.  It tells a client what host is associated with
which dynamic ip address.

> What is a static IP?

It is an IP address that doesn't change.

 If I gave you two IP addresses and one was
> static and the other dynamic could you tell me which one was which?

No, I don't think I could.

> If not then what does it matter, and more importantly when does it
> matter?

As far as what does it matter goes, I guess it doesn't matter.  I
guess I can set up a DNS primary nameserver using my dynamically
allocated IP address from comcast.  But what about my secondary
nameserver.  It seems that one is suppose to set up a seconary
nameserver if your primary one goes done, but then how does dyndns
find the secondary if the primary goes done, and the primary name
server host is associated with my dynamically allocated IP address.

As far as when does it matter goes, I guess it matters when comcast
changes my IP address, which I hear is rare, but it does happen, but
then I think my dyndns configuration file is suppose to update
dyndns.org.  ( I'll be asking questions about the dyndns configuration
file too, when I figure out how to articulate those questions.  )

Did I answer your riddles correctly?  I'm not being flippant, and I'm
not quite sure if my answers were right.  I'm being earnest and hope
for more feedback.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Victor Soich