[PLUG] More tiny PC goodness

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Sun Oct 14 15:45:06 UTC 2007

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> m0gely wrote:
>> http://www.fit-pc.com/index.htm
>>
>> This would make a great little firewall.  Comes pre-installed with Gentoo.
>>

> $285US for a mini-PC? That seems a bit expensive when you can get a Mac
> Mini for $600US and a stripped 64-bit dual-core laptop for $500US, both
> including a monitor, a non-free OS and some applications. :)

You can't try and find a consistent price/performance/features/etc power
curve to everything.  I believe you might be able to apply an often used
term here (slightly modified):

   small, powerful, cheap and feature rich.  Pick two.

If you look at other devices in the same class as this one, then compare
price.  The Mac and laptop doesn't have dual NIC ports, and the mini
uses a lot more than ~5 watts.  The laptop is probably pretty good on
power consumption, and is a lot bigger and more expensive.  What's the
comparison again?

--
- m0gely