[PLUG] Victor is trying to understand DNS

Kevin Krumwiede kjkrum at comcast.net
Sun Oct 14 23:35:23 UTC 2007

Victor Soich wrote:
> Essentially, the only reason I would set up a primary name server and
> secondary name server is if I had a static IP address at my home, and
> under that IP address, ( a submask, I think )  I had a network of
> computers that I wanted to be accessible by the outside Internet.  Is
> this correct?

Depends what you mean by "accessible".  If you wanted those machines on
your subnet to have unique names to the outside world, e.g.
red.yourdomain.com, blue.yourdomain.com, etc., then you would need to
set up a nameserver.  But if you just want these machines to provide
different services through the same domain name, e.g. a dedicated FTP
server handling ftp://yourdomain.com, a dedicated Web server handling
http://yourdomain.com, you wouldn't need to mess with DNS at all.

I've used DynDNS to host a site through Comcast.  I installed a startup
script and cron job that would automatically update DynDNS nameservers
if the address Comcast gave me ever changed.  You can find the stuff for
that on SourceForge.  In fact, I think DynDNS has links to it on their site.